How to Record Your Screen Using Screencastify
Are you looking for an affordable tool to make employee training videos and other screen recordings? Discover how you can start exploiting this user-friendly extension on your Chrome browser to make screen recordings for absolutely free.
How Do You Install the Record Extension?
The first step is installing the Record extension from the Chrome Web Store, your Screencastify Dashboard, or the Screencastify website. Remember that to install and use Screencastify; you have to be using the Google Chrome browser.
- How Can You Install Record From the Website? Head to the Screencastify homepage and click on the “Add to Chrome Button” in the top right-hand corner. This will take you directly to the Chrome Web Store.
- How Can You Install Record From the Chrome Web Store? Click on the “Add to Chrome” button from the Chrome Web Store. On the confirmation box that appears, click on “Add extension” to confirm that you wish to install the extension. This will allow Screencastify to start downloading.
- How Can You Install Record From Your Screencastify Dashboard? Click on “Record” from your Screencastify dashboard.
The Screencastify arrow icon should appear in the top right corner of your browser once the record extension is successfully installed.
How Do You Set Up the Extension? After the record extension is installed, you have to go through a brief setup process. If it’s your first time using this extension, you will have to complete these three steps:
- Log In to the extension: Log in using your Google account. As a best practice, we suggest you save your videos automatically to your Google Drive.
- Check the Permissions: To ensure the Record extension runs optimally, Chrome will ask for a couple of permissions. Accepting these permissions will allow a folder titled “Screencastify” to be created in your Google Drive account. This will also allow Screencastify to access your webcam, microphone, display annotation tools, and record your screen.
- Introduce Yourself: Respond to a two-question survey that will allow Screencastify to send regular notifications to the extension you might find helpful.
How Do You Start Recording?
- To start recording using Screencastify, click on the “Screencastify” icon in your extensions toolbar.
- Next, select what you want to record. You can choose to record: Your Browser Tab, Your Entire Desktop, or Webcam Only. Switch on the toggle next to “Microphone” if you want to capture your voice. Switch on the toggle next to “Embed Webcam” or use a webcam recording to capture your face.
- If you wish to configure additional settings for your recording, click on “Show More Options.” Here are a few things you can change:
- Countdown Length: It’s possible to set a 3, 5, or 10-second countdown. You can also completely switch off the countdown by disabling the toggle.
- Drawing and Annotation Tools: Turn on the toggle next to “Show Drawing Tools.” However, this option is currently only available for Desktop and Browser Tab recordings.
- Tab Audio: Turn on the toggle next to tab audio to capture audio from YouTube or Google Meet or some other browser tab. This feature is, however, accessible in Browser Tab Recordings only.
- System Audio: You can capture audio from apps such as Windows Media Player or PowerPoint by enabling the toggle next to “System Audio.” But this is only available for Windows users.
- To begin recording, click on the blue “Record” button. If you’ve enabled a countdown, you will see and hear it, after which your recording will begin. You will see a red dot appear in your extension icon once Screencastify starts recording.
Are You Looking to Leverage the Most Reliable Screencastify Support in Polk & Hillsborough Counties?
Our accomplished IT professionals at Alltek Services are eager to help you start exploiting Screencastify to make screen recordings for absolutely free.
Contact us now to get started!